The Porsche leather work is awesome... but it can cost as much as the PCCB (Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes).
My car was ordered with the “Full” Leather Package, which meant that my seats, dash and doors were leather covered, but that left many interior pieces finished in genuine cheap plastic.
I took care of some of them by installing a Carbon Fibre Dash Kit, but some other pieces really bothered me, such as the Center Console, Door Arm Rests and the Door Pull Covers, among others.

Since these pieces were in contrasting color from 
my Graphite Gray interior, I decided to keep it that 
Three of these pieces (the two Door Arm Rests 
and the Odsment Cover) are high wear pieces,
because our arms constantly rest and rub against 
Therefore I also chose to use two different types 
(thickness / grain) of leather.

I found a Tandy Leather Store nearby and paid
them a visit to see what thy had available.  I was
pleasantly surprised to see the variety of hides 
in many, many colors, sizes and grain pattern.
I chose a thicker, coarse grain cow hide and a 
very soft and supple (thinner) buck skin.

The first step is to remove the pieces to be covered.
The door arm rests come off with the removal of a
simple pin which acts as the hinge.

TheOdsment Cover needs more disassembly and 
some Torx screws, but it’s not difficult either.

Once the pieces are out, you need to lay them over
the hide and cut a rough patch of each.

                                                                           Aside from the leather hides you will also need:
                                                                           • a can of Contact Cementa
                                                                           • a cheap applicator
                                                                           • X-Acto knife
                                                                           • scissors
                                                                           • magic marker
                                                                           • small rolling instrument such as a “D” battery 
                                                                             or prescription pill container.

I started with the Odsment Cover.
The 10 year-old-factory leather was worn,
so first I peeled it off.
Oddly, I found a second layer of leather on
the cover.  Seems as though the factory had
covered it twice.

With the new piece of leather roughly cut to size,
and the odsment cover peeled, I “painted” the
underside of the piece of leather and the top of
the cover completely with contact cement.

Once the contact cement had dried to the touch
I lay the leather piece over the center of the
Working from the center outward, I used a roller
to completely bond both surfaces, making sure
that there were no air bubbles.

                                                                                        Then, I turned the piece upside down and 
                                                                                        again trimmed the leather, now enough for
                                                                                        it to have about 1/2 inch border after the
                                                                                        leather was folded over.


The curves of the odsment cover don’t really
require you to “V” notch  the leather for a smooth
I made sure to have an edge at least as wide as
the leather completely “painted” with contact
cement so when I folded the leather over, it would
stick to the cover’s underside.
Then, using an empty prescription bottle, I rolled 
and pressed the leather onto the underside as
hard as I could.

Finally I screwed the under tray back in place, which also helps secure the leather folded back in place
and gives it a “finished” look and then I installed it.

The same procedure was followed to cover the door arm rests, but because some of the curves have
a lesser radius and because there is no under tray, some “V” notches had to be cut into the leather’s
edge before it was folded over.
Working slowly, I quickly figured out how big a “V” needed to be cut so that the edges matched each
other when folded over.

The next pieces were the door pull covers.

These also have some tight turns and curves
and required some “V” notching as well, but
since I used the thinner, more supple buckskin
which stretches somewhat, many of the curves
did not need the notching.

Here’s a before (bellow left) and after (bellow
right) pictures which illustrate the rich look and
feel of the upholstered piece.

The final piece was the most difficult  because
of the awkward shape and large size, the center

                                                                                        Before I started covering, I needed to enlarge 
                                                                                        the lock’s hole, so that when it was covered
                                                                                        with leather, the lock would fit through.
                                                                                        I used a ream on a drill and finished with fine

Because of it’s complex shape I again took my             
time in aligning the piece and the leather patch.
I also started joining the leather to the console’s
top most part first.
Slowly working outward while pulling a bit on the
leather so that it would conform better with the
shape of the console.

The final step was re-installing the console and 
going for a drive.

Happy Boxstering,
If you would rather have us do this work for you, please visit our technoLeather web page../Site_2/TechnoLeather.htmlshapeimage_2_link_0
Upholstering Interior pieces in leather
you did-it-Yourself
press here to go back to the DIY page../Site/DIY_Projects.html